Wednesday, April 12, 2006

It's Broke

From here on out I am going to refer to my job as CampStupid. As my favorite saying goes, "You can't fix stupid."

Unlike other healthcare institutions we have some unique rules around this camp. Our camp counselors can only do magic math. This must have been in the job requirements somewhere with a secret class only for head counselors given at a secret time and place. This is the math question for the day:

CampStupid schedule maker cannot fill Camp schedule because there are positions for 13 fulltime nurses daily. CampStupid schedule maker has 7 fulltime nurses and two part time nurses. How does CampStupid schedule maker fill all 13 positions?

CampStupid Head Counselor answer: "Well the nurses are just going to have to all pull together and work some overtime."

CampStupid schedule maker points out that every nurse could volunteer to work every single day 24 hours a day and all 13 positions still cannot be filled.

CampStupid Head Counselor answer: "Their (I guess "their" is the seven nurses) will have to make it work. It can work out!"

CampStupid schedule maker, not as wise obviously as the CampStupid Head Counselor, ponders the possibility of some head nurse counselors maybe helping the nurses out. CampStupid head Counselor laughs with all her knowledge and knows that with the magic math this is not needed and that in fact the CampStupid nurses will be fine and
work this out.


So in other words it is pretty rough around CampStupid lately. I can handle a lot, but the blinders management puts on in rough situations has broken me down. I am torn between the good and the bad. The good being the patients that I have cared for all these years, the bad is the blinded management that are too damn optimistic that things will be ok. Things have not been ok for a very long time now. At least six months.

I get this way every year about this time. Fed up and broke down. I make myself hang on because I am torn between what I love and what I hate. I usually work it out, things do get better and life goes on. But I have never felt this beaten down. Thankfully otherwise life is happy outside of work. But I cannot help but drag some of it into the rest of my life. I know I have been a bitch to people I love for no reason they have caused or can help.

8 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger Goepp-Watch said...

Thought you may be interested in our blog

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Tiesha said...

I like your blog. Maybe you would like mine too. It's a little bit scattered (I'm not sure what I want to do with it), but right now it's me, my job, my garden and whatever else I out up on there.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Surgeon in my dreams said...

I have just found your blog today. I know I'll be back!

Please take heart in the fact that anywhere you could possibly work, no matter the field, Big Business will be there. Big Business wants the most possible work out of its people for the least amount of money they can get away with.

You are doing something you love and I can tell from what IO have read that the patients are better off with you there.

Better to be doing something you love and getting mistreated than doing something you detest and getting the same treatment.

Hang in there.

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger shrimplate said...

It's dysfunctional and it's never going to get any better. You will probably leave for a better job.

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Tracy said...

Hi,

I was wondering if you would be interested in supplying a link for your viewers from your blogsite to Nursezone.com. Nursezone is a nursing portal where student nurses and graduated nurses can find articles on current nursing, find jobs as a traveling nurse, CE classes and more. I see you have some links to various internet sources. Why not make Nursezone.com one of them?

We also have content we are willing to share (at no cost). Let me know if you are interested and I will be more than happy to supply you with some examples. We only ask that the content contain a link back to our site.

Please let me know if you are interested or if you have any questions.

Thank you!

Tracy
nursezoneportal@earthlink.net

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous kayla said...

very nice blog site some how i found you looking for things on our sons birth defect esophageal atresia, i wish you all the best.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Do you want to give your patients the ability to pay via the web? How about setting automated recurring payment plans so you are not chasing “false promises”?
We will develop a bill payment system via the web:
• allows customers to pay their bills using credit card, debit card or check
• allows customer or your staff to schedule a single payment and/or recurring
• may be customized to automatically update the patient record in the PMS

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Richard said...

Hi,

Richard Hemby here from OnlineCollegeGuru.com, I'm contacting you about a nursing web awards we're currently running with the following categories:

* Best Nursing Blog of 2010
* Best New Nursing blog of 2010
* Best/Influential Post of 2009-2010
* Top Nursing Twitterer of 2010
* Most Useful Nursing Website of 2010
* Most Useful Web/Mobile Tool for Nurses of 2010

1st place, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will receive Kiva gift cards for best nursing blog, new nursing blog, and best nursing post. Besides Kiva gift cards, we have some pretty nice web badges for other categories.

We have just started accepting nominations and we would really appreciated (really!) if you could give the awards a plug on your blog so we could make this the biggest and best nursing web awards! Tweet it too if you could!


Here's the awards website:


http://onlinecollegeguru.com/awards/nursing/2010/2010-nursing-web-awards-begins/

We're definitely open to feedback (new categories for instance). So please shoot me an email or leave us a comment on the blog.



Thanks!

Richard

 

Post a Comment

<< Home